Ratings

RATINGS: ***** Absolutely Loved It **** Really Liked It *** Liked It ** It Was Okay * I Couldn't Finish It

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Darkness Breaks - Jessica Sorensen

Darkness Breaks (Darkness Falls #2)
By Jessica Sorensen
4th June 2012
Createspace

Kayla made her choice and now she has to live with it. She stays with the Day Takers, hiding in the city, staking vampires. But fighting vampires as a human is difficult.
Sylas constantly pressures Kayla to choose the life of a Day Taker. But until Kayla knows what Monarch is planning, she can’t make her choice. Plus there’s Aiden. No matter how hard she tries, she can’t stop thinking about him.
As Kayla’s memories resurface, the pieces of her history unfold. She learns of Cell 7, a place that Kayla believes holds the answers to the creation of the virus. But getting to Cell 7 is a dangerous mission. And with Kayla's strength weakening, it's one mission she might not make it through alive.





This book was as good as, if not better than the first and I finished it from cover to finish in one sitting because I couldn’t put it down, it’s been a rollercoaster of a ride and my emotions are all over the place. I was immediately thrown back into the action and questions from the end of the first book were established again within the first few pages, so it was easy to get right back into the heart of the story. Sorensen is an amazing storyteller and her ability to mix glimpses of the past with the fast moving action of the present if truly remarkable, she uses every word carefully, never wasting a moment and each chapter propels the story forward.

The thing I loved the most about this book? Sylas. If you know the series then you know we meet him briefly towards the end of the first book. From the first glimpse I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied until I knew everything there was to know about him and although I still have a hundred more questions I haven’t been disappointed. It is great to see the relationship between Sylas and Kayla develop and some of his walls begin to come down but what surprised me the most was that when Kayla’s memories begin to resurface it’s more about Sylas than Aiden despite what Aiden’s had her believe from the beginning.

I was surprised to find that my opinion of Aiden changed completely in this book, originally I thought he was sweet if not a bit too sensitive but now I have this sense that there’s more he’s hiding from Kayla and his treatment of her is starting to grate on me. It’s one of the things I don’t understand about her, she is a strong independent woman and yet she still allows Aiden to put her in a position that delays her in completing her task. The one question I want answered about him, why doesn’t he want Kayla to change the world? I was also glad to have more of an insight into Ryder and her true feelings towards the brothers, I never expected to find out that she was a key player in the story and that’s what I love about Sorensen, she never fails to surprise me.

I can’t wait to read the next book because I’m hoping there will be a more in depth look into the mind of Monarch and exactly what his plan is and whether he truly has lost all of his humanity, I want to know who’s side he’s on and if Kayla will finally accept the truth about him- that he isn’t the person she thought her was. The one question I can’t wait to have answered and I’m sure Kayla can’t wait either is how did the virus spread?

The expected release date of Darkness Fades, the third book in the series is expected for October 2012.

Check out Jessica Sorensen’s blog here

Rating *  *  *  *  *

- Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment